Skip to main content

Windows 7

Finally, it seems that Microsoft has decided to do some changes to Vista (I guess the most commercially unsuccessful Microsoft OS release in spite of so much advertising). "Over the past few years, you've asked us to make some changes to Windows. We listened closely," by Microsoft.
Windows 7 is supposed to be faster, more reliable, & easier to do what you want. I would love to have a new OS that combine some of the few cool features in Vista & Plenty of good ones in XP. I hope that they remove the sudden black screen that appears when we try to install a new software, configure a driver or need to allow firewall access. Getting a sudden black screen is scary…. However, other than few minor improvements I didn't see any major improvements. It seems that new interface is becoming more like Mac.
Anyway, Beta version is already available for techies to try. Unfortunately, I don't have a machine with 1GB of memory to install. Please share your experience if you really try it.

Comments

Dilum Bandara said…
It seams Windows 7 can even run on machines with extremely low resources (based on today's PC standards). See Windows 7 Hits a New Low

Popular posts from this blog

1. Building P2P Simulators with OverSim - Where to Begin

This could be a series of blog posts about extending or developing your own OverSim applications & overlay networks. OverSim has a minimal tutorial on writing your own application & overlay network; however, it doesn't show the big picture. So, I'm wasting lots of time playing with code & trying to understand the rest. Good thing is, I like it more & more as I understand. You need to change/develop only a few things, but finding out which ones is a hell of a task. I hope this will not only make my life easy but also will be useful to new comers. Here's what you need to do: You need some background on OMNeT++ OverSim extend OMNeT++. But sometime it has its own way of doing things (to make your task even simple) so understand the differences . Develop several OMNeT++ simulators. TicToc is a good one to start with. Extend it as you imagine. Read Towards a Common API for Structured Peer-to-Peer Overlays , which is the basis for OvseSim's AP...

Key Application Layer Functions

Constructor  Can be use to set message to NULL . Better not to skip defining the constructor. Destructor Can be use to clear/delete messages using cancelAndDelete() . New version seems to be motivating to use a destructor so better not to skip. void initializeApp(int stage) Can be used to initialize the application, read parameters from omnet.ini file, set statistic collectors, GUI display variables, start timers, set UDP port, etc. stage - Indicate which stage your are in. MIN_STAGE_APP indicates this module is being created while MAX_STAGE_APP indicates all modules were created. We typically need MIN_STAGE_APP to i nitialize application & variables. void finishApp() Called when application is terminating. Can be used to summarize stat. New version seems to be motivating us to delete messages in the destructor.   void handleTimerEvent(cMessage* msg) Handle event timer. Use to generate new periodic messages, other events, or check for lost messages. Bett...

Distributed Systems Mind Map

Though distributed systems are inherently distributed, autonomous, and parallel, all textbooks that I have read so far are boring & serial, going from one topic to another as they are independent topics. Wondering about how best to present all related topics and their relationships in my class, I came up with the following mind map. I was able to explain most of the key concepts using a single example of a web-based business that started selling flowers. It was a student who suggested that we consider selling flowers. It turned out to be a good example, as there had to be a connection to the physical world where the business also needed a geographical distributed delivery system. Taught of sharing the mind map. Though most of those branches can be broken down further this level of detailed was sufficient for my class (by the way it took 1 hour to finish the discussion on this slide). Distributed Systems Mind Map